Physical education is concerned with more than the development of physical qualities such as speed and strength. It is another medium through which we can gain a better understanding of ourselves, and the way in which we interact with others in individual and team sport situations. Sport provides an avenue for self-expression outside the classroom.
At The Ridge, by providing the boys with a variety of activities, we strive to allow each child the opportunity to realise his best physical potential and, at the same time, meet many other emotional needs. It is our policy to cater for each individual boy’s needs and, to this end, we offer each boy the opportunity to experience being part of a team, whether on the practice field, in inter-school fixtures, or both.
The Ridge School is a member of the Independent Schools’ Association of Southern Africa and we are, therefore, bound to abide by the resolutions passed by this association, some of which relate to sporting policies. We would therefore highlight the following:
- Good sportsmanship in sport is a crucial part of a boy’s education.
- Each boy is encouraged to participate regardless of his ability. We ensure that each boy is given an opportunity to compete with confidence and to achieve a reasonable degree of success and enjoyment at his own level.
- We aim to expose the boys to as many different sporting disciplines as possible in order that they are able to make the best decisions and choices at senior school.
- The Ridge offers the following sporting codes for the boys to participate in: Swimming, Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, Football, Water Polo, Hockey, Cross Country, Athletics, Kayaking & Climbing.
Annual Sports Programme
Grade R, Grade 1 and 2
- Term 1 – Cricket, Swimming, Rugby
- Term 2 – Rugby and Football
- Term 3 – Hockey, Cricket and Swimming
- Term 1 – Swimming, Cricket, Tennis and Athletics
- Term 2 – Rugby, Cross Country & Football
- Term 3 – Hockey, Cricket, Swimming and Tennis
- Term 1 – Swimming, Cricket, Water Polo, Athletics, Tennis (practices only) & Kayaking
- Term 2 – Rugby, Cross Country, Football, Tennis & Climbing
- Term 3 – Hockey, Water Polo, Cricket, Swimming, Tennis (practices only) & Kayaking